This is the simple task that makes my housekeeping life easier:
I Tidy As I Go
- I make our bed every morning. (Would you believe it only takes less than a minute?)
- I wash the dishes every after meal.
- I (or my husband) takes out the trash every evening.
- I clear the countertops after use.
- I wipe off or pick up dirt as soon as I see it.
- I have a small paper bag ready where I throw away the scraps from the ingredients I use in cooking.
- I fold the clothes after laundry and put them inside the cabinet.
Above are some examples of how I implement tidying as I go. The simplicity of the chore is what makes me fall in love with it.
And the appreciation… Oh, the appreciation!
My heart skips a beat every time our visitors intentionally leave their shoes or slippers outside the main door. Whenever that happens, I tell them that they can wear their shoes or slippers inside the house, but they would tell me that they know how hard cleaning is (even if that particular time all I did was tidy—not clean).
If there’s anything about this whole housekeeping gig that I love, it’s hands down tidying.