Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.
– Ephesians 5:22 NIV
Did God say, “Wives, submit to your husbands IF…”?
Did God say, “Wives, submit to your husbands WHEN…”?
Did God say, “Wives, submit to your husbands BUT…”?
Neither if nor when nor but is in the words of the wisest.
God’s commandment is clear—wives submit to your husbands. That means God did not command wives to lead the household (He appointed that role to the husbands).
I want to do my best to protect my husband, to protect my marriage. As a fellow wife, I want to take this opportunity to ask other wives who might be reading this to stand with me in that same pursuit, not out of vanity, but out of our desire to please God. We can never be perfect wives, but we can trust in our perfect God to work in and through us to achieve a marriage that will bring glory to Him.
Wives, submit to your husbands.
- Always speak highly of your husband even behind his back.
- Never talk negatively about your husband especially behind his back.
- If you don’t have nothing good to say to or about your husband, it’s always a wise choice to say nothing at all.
- Do not nag.
- Never scold your husband (especially in front of anyone) like you would do to a child.
- Your husband is not your child. Disciplining a husband has never, and will never be, a wife’s role.
- Serve your husband. If your husband has the tendency to forget to put his worn clothes inside the hamper, may you never have the tendency to forget that every time you pick the clothes without scolding him (see the first two points before this), you’re serving him. That also goes with your husband’s quirks with the toothpaste, toilet seat, etc.
- Talk with your husband. Ask questions when you need answer. Tell him your thoughts when you felt rejected. Never assume that you know the answer. Never assume that he does.
- Hush. Let your husband talk.
- Make it a priority to be intimate with your husband on a regular basis. (If the words priority and regular didn’t do the job in emphasizing the importance of intimacy in marriage, I don’t know what will.)
- Respect your husband. Depriving your husband of sexual intimacy to get back to him for not throwing out the trash is one sure way of disrespecting your husband. Never do that. Never disrespect your husband in any way.
- A submissive wife’s priorities: God, husband, children, career, others. Yes, in that particular order.
- Decide to love your husband no matter what.
- Make him fall in love with you.
- Never cease to pray for your husband.
As a wife, I choose to submit to my husband. I hope you do, too. May you choose to obey God’s command—submit. No ifs, no whens, no buts.
It will not be easy, but I’m sure it will be worth it.